This policy describes how Better Because Collective (aka The Better Because Project, Inc.) (“Better Because”) collects, uses, and shares personal information.
Types Of Information Collected
The following provides examples of the type of information that Better Because collects from you and how it uses that information.
Types of Data: We collect the name, and contact information, personal statement, and photograph of participants/contributors.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: This information is collected to complete the agreement between the participant/contributor and The Better Because Project and for possible publication by The Better Because Project in connection with participant’s/contributor’s personal story
Cookies and First-Party Tracking
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in making our website operate efficiently.
Cookies and Third-Party Tracking
Types of Data: We participate in behavior-based advertising, this means that a third party uses technology (e.g., a cookie) to collect information about your use of our website so that it can provide advertising about products and services tailored to your interests on our website, or on other websites.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in engaging in behavior-based advertising and capturing website analytics.
Types of Data: We collect personal information, such as your age or location.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in understanding our users and providing tailored services.
Types of Data: If you receive email from us, we use certain tools to capture data related to when you open our message, click on any links or banners it contains, and make purchases.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in understanding how you interact with our communications to you.
Types of Data: If you provide us feedback or contact The Better Because Project for support, we will collect your name and email address, as well as any other content that you send to us, in order to reply.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in receiving, and acting upon your feedback or issues.
Types of Data: When you sign up for one of The Better Because Project’s mailing lists, we collect your email address or postal address.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in sharing information about The Better Because Project.
Types of Data: The Better Because Project collects information from your mobile device such as unique identifying information broadcast from your device when visiting The Better Because Project’s website.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in identifying unique visitors, and in understanding how users interact with our website on their mobile devices.
Types of Data: We collect information that you provide as part of a co-branded promotion with another company.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in fulfilling our promotions.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in understanding your opinions and collecting information relevant to us.
Types of Data: We use technology to monitor how you interact with our website. This may include which links you click on or information that you type into our online forms. This may also include information about your device or browser.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in understanding how you interact with our website to improve it, and to understand your preferences and interests in order to select information that you might find most useful. We also have a legitimate interest in detecting and preventing fraud.
Types of Data: We collect information, including your browser type, operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to a computer when the Internet is used), domain name, click-activity, referring website, and/or a date/time stamp for visitors.
Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data: We have a legitimate interest in monitoring our networks and the visitors to our website.
In addition to the information that Better Because collects from you directly, it may also receive information about you from other sources, including third parties, partners, or publicly available sources.
Use And Processing Of Information.
In addition to the purposes and uses described above, Better Because uses information in the following ways:
- To identify you when you visit its website.
- To provide services.
- To improve its services.
- To conduct analytics.
- To respond to inquiries related to support, employment opportunities, or other requests.
- To send promotional materials, including information relating to its services.
- For internal administrative purposes, as well as to manage its relationships.
Although the sections above describe Better Because’s primary purpose in collecting your information, in many situations it has more than one purpose. As a result, its collection and processing of your information is based in different contexts upon your consent, its need to perform an agreement with you, its obligations under law, and/or its legitimate interest in conducting its affairs.
Sharing Of Information.
In addition to the specific situations discussed elsewhere in this policy, Better Because discloses information in the following situations:
- Affiliates and Acquisitions. We may share information with corporate affiliates (g., parent entities, sister entities, joint ventures, or other entities under common control). If another entity acquires, or plans to acquire, Better Because or our assets, we will also share information with that company, including at the negotiation stage.
- Other Disclosures with Your Consent. Better Because may ask if you would like it to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties who are not described elsewhere in this policy.
- Other Disclosures without Your Consent. Better Because may disclose information in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws. It may also share your information in order to establish or exercise its rights, to defend against a legal claim, to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, or a violation of its policies, or to comply with your requests or for the provision of services by a third party intermediary.
- Service Providers. Better Because may share your information with service providers. Among other things service providers may help it to administer its website, conduct surveys, provide technical support, process payments, and assist in the fulfillment of orders.
You can make the following choices regarding your personal information:
- Access To Your Personal Information. You may request access to your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law, upon request, Better Because will grant you reasonable access to the personal information that it has about you.
- Deletion Of Your Personal Information. Typically Better Because retains your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law. You may, however, request information about how long Better Because keeps a specific type of information, or request that it delete your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law Better Because will grant a request to delete information, but you should note that in many situations it must keep your personal information to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, or for another purpose.
- Objection to Certain Processing. You may object to Better Because’s use of your personal information by contacting it at the address described below.
- Online Tracking. Better Because’s website does not currently recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “Do Not Track”
- Informational Emails. You may choose to provide Better Because with your email address for the purpose of allowing it to send free newsletters, surveys, and other materials to you. You can stop receiving these informational emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in emails that you receive. If you decide not to receive informational emails, it may still send you service related communications.
- Revocation Of Consent. If you revoke your consent for the processing of personal information then Better Because may no longer be able to provide you services. In some cases, Better Because may limit or deny your request to revoke consent if the law permits or requires it to do so, or if it is unable to adequately verify your identity. You may revoke consent to processing (where such processing is based upon consent) by contacting us at the address described below.
How Personal Information Is Protected
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure. While Better Because uses reasonable efforts to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, it cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. In the event that it is required by law to inform you of a breach to your personal information it may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if permitted to do so by law.
The following additional information relates to Better Because’s privacy practices:
- Third Party Applications/Websites. Better Because has no control over the privacy practices of websites or applications that it does not own.
Contact Information. If you have any questions, comments, or complaints concerning these privacy practices please contact Better Because at the appropriate address below. It will attempt to respond to your requests and to provide you with additional privacy-related information.
Better Because Collective (aka The Better Because Project, Inc.)
54 Iris Ave
San Francisco, CA 94118
Last Revised: June 2nd, 2021
Effective Date: June 2nd, 2021